Austin-Smith:Lord Director Takes Centre Stage at the World Stage Design Congress
On the 5th – 15th September Cardiff will host the OISTAT World Stage Design Congress. Held only every four years, World Stage Design is a celebration of international performance design from the world of theatre, opera and dance. This will be the first time it has ever been held in the UK.
As part of the Congress, on the 8th and 9th September, Austin-Smith:Lord Director Rob Firman will host a tour around five of the most significant theatres in South Wales for up to 40 of the world’s leading theatre architects, scenographers and technicians.
The tour will visit the following theatres:
- Park and Dare in Treorchy which was originally paid for by salary sacrafice by mineworkers of the local colliery 100 years ago
- The only Grade I Listed theatre in Wales, Craig-Y-Nos, built by opera diva Adelina Patti to entertain her house guests at her Castle in the Swansea valley
- Ffwrnes in Llanelli, the newest theatre in South Wales which opened in 2013
- The Palace Theatre in Swansea which is the most at risk theatre building in Wales
- The Wales Millennium Centre which opened 10 years ago and is home to eight of Wales’ leading arts organisations and the world-class Donald Gordon Theatre.
On the 9th September Rob will present a seminar on the state of the theatre estate in South Wales and highlight the best of Welsh theatre buildings from the last 150 years at the Architecture Day.